For the latest local pandemic updates, visit the Town’s COVID-19 page.

Frequently Asked Questions

Table of Contents

  • What do I do if I'm a victim of domestic violence? 
  • Auto Accident: What should I do if I'm in an automobile accident?
  • Calling 911: When I call 9-1-1, how does the Police Department know where I am?
  • Compliments / Complaints: How do I compliment or complain about service I received from the Garner Police Department?
  • Home Protection: Should I install a burglar alarm in my home?
  • Leash Law: Does Garner have a leash law?
  • Police Department: How can I get to know the Police Department better?
  • Seat Belts / Child Restraints: How old must my child be before he doesn't have to use a safety seat?
  • Solicitations: Does the Garner Police Department make or support calls asking for donations?
  • Suspicious Activity: What should I do if I see suspicious or unusual activity in my neighborhood?


 How can I get to know the Police Department better?

There are numerous ways to become better acquainted with our Police Department.  A few of these include:

  • Attend the Police Department's Citizen Academy, or for those under 18 years of age, the PAAL chapter at Garner Magnet High School.
  • Ask for a representative from the Police Department to give a presentation on a public safety related topic to your group or organization.
    • Get involved in Neighborhood Watch through our Crime Prevention Program.  For further information, contact our Community Services Sergeant at

Back to Top

How old must my child be before he doesn't have to use a safety seat ?

In North Carolina, all children under five (5) and under 40 pounds must use an approved child restraint system.  Note that children over 40 pounds are exempt, even if they are under five.  New seats are being manufactured that will hold children up to as much as 80 pounds with a harness.  We recommend that children stay in a child seat or booster seat until they are about 80 pounds because a regular seat belt system is not designed for such young children.

Children under 80 lbs and under age eight (8) must use an approved child restraint or booster seat system.  While children that are still under age eight, but over 80 lbs may be exempt from the law, the Garner Police Department recommends that you evaluate if the child is ready to ride without a booster seat.  Please visit for more information.

For more info on child passenger safety, please call us at 919-772-8810 or email Sergeant Chris Adams.

Back to Top


Does Garner have a leash law ?

Yes, Garner requires that all dogs and cats be under physical control with a leash while off the owner's property.  For more info on Animal Control Ordinances, please call us at 919-772-8810 or email Michael Gale

Back to Top


What should I do if I am involved in an automobile accident ?

Our first concern is your health and safety.  If you are involved in an accident, determine if anyone is hurt.  If anyone is injured, call 911 and request an ambulance.  Also, if anyone is injured, or the damage in the collision is greater than $1000, then a police report is mandatory.  If no one is hurt, or the damage is not greater than $1000, then the two parties may settle any claims among themselves without legally being required to file a report with the police.  However, the law states a driver involved in collisions "shall give his name, address, driver's license number and the license plate number of his vehicle to the driver or occupants of any other vehicle involved in the accident or collision or to any person whose property is damaged in the accident or collision. If the damaged property is a parked and unattended vehicle and the name and location of the owner is not known to or readily ascertainable by the driver of the responsible vehicle, the said driver shall furnish the information required by this subsection to the nearest available peace officer, or, in the alternative, and provided he thereafter within 48 hours fully complies with G.S. 20-166.1(c), shall immediately place a paper-writing containing said information in a conspicuous place upon or in the damaged vehicle. If the damaged property is a guardrail, utility pole, or other fixed object owned by the Department of Transportation, a public utility, or other public service corporation to which report cannot readily be made at the scene, it shall be sufficient if the responsible driver shall furnish the information required to the nearest peace officer or make written report thereof containing said information by U.S. certified mail, return receipt requested, to the North Carolina Division of Motor Vehicles within five days following said collision."

If your vehicle is in the middle of a busy travel lane, and the damage is minimal and there are no injuries, it is best to move both vehicles out of the travel lanes.  Although it is easier for the investigating officer if the vehicles are not moved prior to his arrival, there is a risk of further damage and injury when you remain in traffic.

In approximately three working days after the accident, you may request a copy of the police report at no charge.  You can request a copy via email at  Please provide your full name and address, the date of the accident, the case number (if known), and location.  If you have a fax number, provide that so we make fax you the report.

Back to Top


I have had several phone calls from people representing themselves as police officers calling and asking for donations for this and that! Are the callers really police officers? I would like to help, but it sounds "fishy" to me.

Local police and sheriffs departments generally do not solicit for donations over the telephone, however, some private organizations which have police officers as members do. If you have any questions about solicitations, call the Police Department prior to committing to any donations.

Back to Top


When I call 9-1-1, how does the Police Department know where I am?

The Police Department's 9-1-1 system automatically displays the phone number and address to the dispatcher on any incoming 9-1-1 calls. The dispatcher will still ask your phone number and address to verify the information. All 9-1-1 calls on a cellular phone are directly connected to the Raleigh Emergency Communications Center. If calling from a cellular phone, you would need to advise the dispatcher of the city where the emergency is occurring so they can connect you with the proper law enforcement agency.

Back to Top


What should I do if I see suspicious or unusual activity in my neighborhood?

At any given time there are officers on the street. The Garner Police Department counts on the thousand of eyes from our citizens to alert us to unusual situations. Anytime someone calls, a dispatcher will take the information, ask questions, decide on what/whom to send, and the urgency of the call. We will respond to every call for service, though obviously, the less important calls may take some time to get to. The Police Department appreciates your calls and we rely on you to assist us by calling us whenever you see anything that is suspicious or unusual.  There is no "non emergency" number to request the police.  If you think you need a police officer, please call 911.

Back to Top


Should I install a burglar alarm in my home?

Having an alarm system is a matter of personal choice.  Some people consider an alarm to be a deterrent to would-be thieves.  Others feel that the alarm gives them added security when they are home or away.  Alarm systems vary in cost, depending on what type of detection system is employed.  Some components are readily available at home improvement centers for "do it yourself" installation.  Many licensed alarm companies are listed in the phone book.  We recommend that alarm buyers get at least two bids for the work, ask for references, and make sure there is training provided to everyone who will use the alarm system.  False alarms waste police resources.

Back to Top

How do I compliment or complain about the service I received from the Garner Police Department?

We strive to provide excellent customer service to everyone.  We welcome feedback to both compliment our efforts, or to let us know when we have failed to meet our own high standards.  Please provide us feedback either by calling our department at 919-772-8810, using our Officer Concern and Officer Compliment online forms, or writing to:

Garner Police Department
912 Seventh Ave.
Garner, NC 27529

If you know the officer's name, you can ask to speak to his or her direct supervisor.

Back to Top