Town Hall reopens to the public on Monday, June 1. Learn more.

This collection of resources is geared to help citizens, developers and consultants answer basic questions about activities that may be taking place on their property and to see which of those activities may require approval from the Planning Department.  

If your address is Garner but you pay taxes to Johnston County, you are regulated by them. Please contact the Johnston County Planning Department at 919-989-5150.

We've also started a "Do I Need A Permit" FAQs list.

While fences, storage buildings and hen houses may not require building permits for construction, they do require zoning permits to ensure setbacks, locations and materials are appropriate.  These approvals are meant to protect your interests in ensuring activities are carried out correctly in the event a neighbor has questions or concerns.

Please explore the topics within this collection of resources and let us know if you have any questions.

*** Want permit/inspections lookup? Visit here. ***

Please note that building permits are handled by the Town's Inspections Department and construction drawing review is jointly shared by the Town's Engineering Department and the City of Raleigh Public Utilities Department as appropriate. A more comprehensive collection of resources for the entire development review process may be found under Development Services.  

Contacts for questions about Permits, Site Plans and Plats:

 Contact Building Inspections at 919-773-4433 for the following:
  • Building Permits – HVAC, Mechanical, Electrical, Plumbing 
  • Additions to home – Interior/Exterior
  • Decks
  • Garages over 12’ x 12’
  • New Construction Residential/Commercial permits
  • Construction Drawings (after initial approval by Town)
  • Fire Inspections
  • Footing Inspections
  • Change of tenant
  • Building up-fit

 Contact Engineering at 919-773-4425 for the following:
  • Stormwater questions / concerns
  • Erosion Control
  • Grading
  • Construction Drawings (after initial approval by Town) 
  • Driveway permits
  • Water / Sewer questions / concerns
  • Utility easements

Contact Planning at 919-773-4449 for the following:
  • Preliminary Site/Subdivision plan review
  • Sign permits
  • Plat review – Final, Minor, Exemption
  • Zoning verification
  • Landscaping inspection
  • Tree protection fencing inspection
  • Board of Adjustment - Variance, Special Exception, Appeal
  • Zoning Permit –Accessory Buildings (Under 12x12)
  • Zoning Permit – Fence
  • Zoning Permit – Home Occupation
  • Zoning Permit – General (New Business, Change of Tenant) this must have a Business Registration accompanying the zoning permit
                 * Code enforcement lookup can be found here.

Contact Wake County Register of Deeds at 919-856-5460 for the following:
  • Copy of HOA Covenants
  • Copy of plat/plot plan
  • Copy of Deed

Contact Wake County Tax Office at 919-856-5400 for the following:
  • The name and/or address is wrong on my Tax Bill
  • I want to appeal my tax value