The Garner Senior Center was opened in 1991 as a recreation center for adults 55 and older.
The original idea for the Senior Center was created by a group of senior club members and community leaders that established a non-profit grouped called Garner Senior Center, Inc. This group convinced local officials to donate land to the cause if they raised $350,000. The goal was met in less than a year and the 8,700 square foot facility was built. The Town of Garner Parks, Recreation and Cultural Resources Department has managed and operated the facility since the facility opened in July 1991.
The facility was expanded in 2006 with money from a bond referendum to offer the fitness annex facility, offering: a gym, dressing rooms, health room, kitchen, and fitness equipment room.
The Garner Senior Center hosts 3 agencies to provide a community focal point for the community.
- The Town of Garner manages the facility and all recreational programming and activities.
- Resources for Seniors provides information and referral for community resources as well as health and wellness.
- Meals on Wheels or Wake County provides a daily meal Monday thru Friday for adults 60 and older.
Square Footage: 16,000 sq. feet includes: Multipurpose room, craft room, card room, lounge, dining hall, 2 catering kitchens, gym, fitness exercise room, health room (used for screenings and individual appointments).
Arts/painting, education, cards and games, day trips, comprehensive fitness and dance classes, health and wellness programs, and competitive and non-competitive sports (basketball, badminton, table tennis, and pickleball).
- Currently 3500 members with an average of 15-20 new participants each month.
- Overall average attendance: 325 per day, 6,500 participants each month. (weekdays only)
- Meals on Wheels attendance: 80 per day, 1,700 per month (weekdays only)
- Home delivered meals from site: 50 per day, 1,100 per month (weekdays only)
After 4pm the clientele at the center adds adult programming. Ages 16+ can join the fitness room or any of the variety of classes offered including: Zumba, Yoga, Hip Hop, Step, Line Dancing, Hooping and more.
The Garner Senior Center has a unique beginning and continues to service active adults in wellness, recreation and fitness. All are welcome to participate in all the activities offered in our safe and friendly environment.
Sponsorship is a great way you can actively support our local senior center.
Are you interested in volunteering at the Garner Senior Center? Learn more in our Volunteer Packet
Click images below to find out more information about our partners.