Garner Parks, Recreation and Cultural Resources is in the initial stages of creating a Comprehensive Parks, Recreation, Cultural Resources, Open Space and Greenways Master Plan or Comp Plan for short. This plan will serve as a guide for future development of parks, programs, facilities and greenways.
The current Comp Plan was adopted in 2007 and led to the South Garner Greenway, acquisition of additional park land, expansion of art and nature programming and building a new recreation center.
The new Comp Plan will include the following:
- Create a clear vision, action plan and financial strategy plan to define a clear path for providing parks, recreation and cultural resources, open space and greenway services for the community through 2029.
- Provide a long-term plan for development of arts programs and events.
- Compile a comprehensive inventory and assessment of existing recreation and cultural arts programs, parks and facilities.
- Review the capital improvement plan for developing, redeveloping and expanding parks, recreation and cultural resources facilities, parks, open space and greenways.
- Utilize a health across the board approach that systematically takes into account the health implications of all Garner Parks, Recreation and Cultural Resources decisions to improve the town's health and health equity.
- Review the operations and maintenance plan to define appropriate maintenance levels and replacement schedules and staffing levels.
- Review and update the current open space and greenway master plan for submission to Wake County.
Share Your Vision
The input of the entire community is essential to creating parks, facilities, programs and greenways for everyone. You can become involved by signing-up to receive email notifications about future community meetings, surveys and plan updates.