Garner High School was built in 1923 in Garner, North Carolina, a small community established in 1905 around a depot for the Eastern Seaboard Railroad, just outside the capital of Raleigh. It graduated its last class in 1956 and was later converted to Garner Elementary School, which was in operation until 1992. In 1998 plans to demolish the main building were voiced by the Wake County School Board, and just a few months later the Garner District Education and Recreation Foundation initiated a drive to save the school. In 1998, after extensive interior renovation, it was reopened for senior citizens. The original auditorium along with its original wooden seats was purchased and operated by the Town of Garner as Garner Historic Auditorium. In 2006 an extensive renovation of the auditorium took place with the addition of an expansive stage and backstage area with improved theatrical lighting and sound, fly space and rails, separate dressing rooms with restrooms, a green room and loading dock. In 2011 the Garner Historic Auditorium was renamed the Garner Performing Arts Center. The facility is dedicated to preserving the arts and being a service to the community of Garner. All three of the Garner School buildings are listed in the National Register of Historic Place and are a part of the Garner National Register Historic District.