Christmas Parade Arrivals
PARADE DAY IS BUSY AND THE STREETS AROUND THE STAGING AREAS CAN BE VERY CROWDED. PLEASE CONSIDER CARPOOLING, AND IF YOU ARE ESCORTING SMALL CHILDREN, PLAN TO HAVE MORE THAN ONE ADULT TO SUPERVISE YOUR GROUP IN CASE ONE OF YOU NEEDS TO PARK,
WHILE THE OTHER ACTS AS ESCORT.
Please make sure you arrive between 12pm & 1:30pm
All participants must be in place by 1:30 p.m.
The streets surrounding the Garner Performing Arts Center (Broughton Street, Powell Drive and Avery Street) will become one-way streets allowing participants to enter the staging areas. Please note that Avery Street will be completely closed to through traffic from Powell Drive to Garner Road to allow solely for staging.
When you arrive you will enter the parade staging area at Broughton Street and Garner Road. This street will be marked as one-way and will be in use for residents and participants only. AS YOU DRIVE DOWN BROUGHTON, YOU WILL SEE THAT CONES ARE PLACED ALONG THE MIDDLE OF THE STREET, TURNING IT INTO A TWO LANE ROAD, RUNNING ONE WAY.
The parade will be staged along the streets surrounding the Garner Performing Arts Center:
- Broughton Street (from Garner Road to Powell Drive)
- Powell Drive (from Broughton Street to Avery Street)
- Avery Street (from Powell Drive to Garner Road)
All participants should be on site and at their assigned spaces.
Parade will begin. Please pay close attention to your Town of Garner representative and listen carefully for when they call your group.
DRIVING A VEHICLE IN THE PARADE
- Parade vehicles must display the entrant number GIVEN TO YOUR GROUP LEADER clearly in their windshields to identify them as parade vehicles.
- When Broughton Road splits, please stay in the right-hand lane and make your way to the Powell Drive intersection.
- At Powell Drive make a right.Powell will also be marked as a two-lane road, running one-way only. PARADE VEHICLES MUST KEEP TO THE RIGHT LANE ON POWELL DRIVE.
- From here, you may proceed to your starting location which will be marked by numbered stakes.Your group leader was also given a map showing your line-up location.
DRIVING YOURSELF/ DROPPING OFF A PARTICIPANT AND NEED TO PARK/WALK TO YOUR LINE UP LOCATION
- Participants driving themselves or dropping off someone should stay in the left-hand lane when Broughton Street splits.
- Continue to the Powell Drive intersection and make a right.
- Turn left into the North Garner Middle School lot to drop off participants.
- Space permitting, you may park in the front North Garner Middle School lot.
- If the North Garner Middle School lot is full after dropping off your participant, continue out of the lot, making a left back onto Powell.Then make a left on Avery Street, parking in the North Garner Middle School side or rear lots, or the surrounding streets.
Avery Street will be completely closed to through traffic from Powell Drive to Garner Road to allow solely for staging. If you feel you need to escort your participant to their line up area, please plan to park and walk them to their spot.
- Floats, trucks with trailers or trucks/cars with multiple passengers must keep straight onto Broughton Street and return to their starting point, following the same route as they did upon arrival. PARTICIPANTS MAY NOT UNLOAD UNTIL BACK AT THEIR STARTING LOCATION.
- Cars with no one to escort or who are carrying passengers that can leave together may turn left onto Garner Road at the Toot n’ Tell and exit the parade.
- Walkers, bike riders and horses may exit the parade by turning right onto Garner Road and crossing through the GPAC parking lot, back to their starting location.
- Please check with your parade group leader and be sure to know the disbandment plan.Note that no Town escorts will be with your group after disbandment and your group is the responsibility of your internal group leaders.
- All parade participants that need to be picked up after the parade must go back to their staging area.People may be picked up at their staging area by following the entry path again.Avery Street will not be open from Powell Drive to Garner Road UNTIL ALL ENTRIES HAVE COMPLETED THE PARADE ROUTE.
PICKING UP PARTICIPANTS
- Groups with multiple participants are asked to head back to their line up spot after completing the parade route.
- If you wish to pick up your parade participant before the parade ends, you will be required to walk to your participant’s line up spot to meet/escort them.VEHICLES ARE NOT ALLOWED INTO THE STAGING AREA WHILE THE PARADE IS UNDERWAY.
- WHEN THE ENTIRE PARADE IS OVER, vehicles may enter through Broughton again to pick up participants.Avery Street will not open until the last float is parked (i.e. Santa).At this time, vehicles may drive down Avery to pick up participants