PRCR Releases Plan for Facilities, Events, Amenities and Programming
Tennis Courts, Outdoor Basketball Court to Reopen; Know Your W's
Good afternoon. We hope you are staying safe and well.
As we head into the governor's Phase 1 of the reopening of the state, we wanted to update you on the Garner Parks, Recreation and Cultural Resources Department's plan for the rest of the month.
Here is a listing of program and event cancellations for the rest of May due to the COVID-19 pandemic and the governor's executive order for Phase 1:
- All facility, shelter and park rentals are cancelled.
- All youth, adult and senior classes and programs are cancelled.
- All special events for May--namely, Friday Family Flicks and Memorial Day--are cancelled.
The following facilities and amenities will remain closed or not available to the public:
- Playgrounds and water fountains
- Recreation centers, the Garner Senior Center, White Deer Park Nature Center, Lake Benson Boathouse and Garner Performing Arts Center
The following park amenities and programs will remain open and available during Phase 1:
- Parks, trails, greenways and restrooms
- Picnic shelters for individual use; no rentals
- Dog parks
- Athletic fields for casual play while adhering to COVID-19 safety guidelines; no team use or rentals
- Bank fishing from within Lake Benson Park (but not from the boathouse dock or on private property)
- Senior Meals on Wheels Tuesday weekly Pick-Up and Go
Park amenities that will reopen during Phase 1:
- All tennis courts and the outdoor basketball court at Jackie Johns Sr. Park. These should be open by approximately 8 a.m. on Saturday, May 9.
PRCR staff is reviewing plans for June and July pending the transition to the governor's Phase 2 of reopening the state.
While you should still stay home as much as possible, if you do go out, know your W's: Wear. Wait. Wash.
Wear a face covering.
Wait 6 feet apart from other people.
Wash your hands often.
More information about the governor's Phase 1 and other COVID-19 information and resources can be found at our COVID-19 webpage.
Stay safe and stay well.