Great Schools in Garner
From preschool to graduate school, Garner residents understand that excellent education is the key to building a strong and vibrant community. The Town of Garner is served by the Wake County Public School System, the state’s largest public school system and the 15th largest in the country. The district's enrollment for the 2016-2017 school year is over 159,000 students.
Garner-area schools (Smith Magnet Elementary, East Garner Magnet Middle and Garner Magnet High) offer students the opportunity to study in the International Baccalaureate (IB) program, which aims to develop inquiring, knowledgeable and caring young people who help to create a better and more peaceful world through intercultural understanding and respect. Toward this end, schools, governments and international organizations collaborate to develop challenging programs of international education and rigorous assessment.
Aversboro Elementary School offers a STEM (science, technology, engineering and math) focus. In addition, students in Garner have the opportunity to start studying Mandarin Chinese starting in elementary school.
Garner-area schools enjoy the support of the Garner Educational Foundation, Inc., a community-based volunteer organization that coordinates business and educational efforts to improve educational standards and promote quality education experiences in Garner-area schools. Established by the Garner Chamber of Commerce in 1990, the foundation seeks to enhance communication and involvement among students, parents, school staff, business leaders and community citizens to foster a higher standard of living for the Garner area.
The educational environment in the Garner area is a major reason why the region is consistently ranked as one of the best places in the United States for families with young children.
To learn about enrolling a child in the Wake County Public School System, please visit the WCPSS website.
And to learn more about Garner's and Wake County's great schools, please review the linked brochure below and watch some of the videos on the Great Schools in Garner YouTube playlist.
Elementary Schools (grades K-5)
- Aversboro Elementary School – traditional calendar
- Creech Road Elementary School – traditional calendar
- East Garner Elementary – multitrack year-round calendar
- Rand Road Elementary School – single-track year-round calendar
- Smith Magnet Elementary – international baccalaureate school; traditional calendar
- Timber Drive Elementary School – single-track year-round calendar
- Vance Elementary – multitrack year-round calendar
- Vandora Springs Elementary School – traditional calendar
- Bryan Road Elementary School (opened in 2017 for Vandora Springs ES students as that school is renovated)
Middle Schools (grades 6-8)
- East Garner Magnet Middle School – international baccalaureate school; traditional calendar
- North Garner Middle School – multitrack year-round calendar
High Schools (grades 9-12)
- Garner Magnet High School – International Baccalaureate school; traditional calendar
- South Garner High School (opened in fall 2016 for Garner Magnet High students as Garner Magnet undergoes extensive renovations)
Garner residents also have convenient access to quality institutions of higher education across the Triangle area, including one of the nation’s fastest-growing community colleges and three of the nation’s top-ranked universities.
|Triangle-Area Colleges, Universities and Technical Schools|
|Campbell University School of Law||law.campbell.edu|
|Durham Technical Community College||www.durhamtech.edu|
|North Carolina Central University||www.nccu.edu|
|North Carolina State University||www.ncsu.edu|
|North Carolina Wesleyan College
- Triangle Campus
|St. Augustine's College||www.st-aug.edu|
|Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary||www.sebts.edu|
|The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill||www.unc.edu|
|Wake Technical Community College||www.waketech.edu|